Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm an author. A real, live paid-for-my-writing author

Using the strictest of terms, I became a professional writer in college. That was the first time anyone paid me for something I'd written. I was on the staff at The Shorthorn, my college newspaper, and I was paid by the column inch. For every inch of copy that I wrote I was paid between one and two dollars. I don't remember the exact amount. But that's when I first became a professional writer. That was nearly 20 years ago.

But it wasn't until this weekend that I became a professional author. That's when I received my first check from Amazon for sales of Chasing Filthy Lucre. It's not for much money. I could treat Gina to a fast food meal out somewhere and that's about it. I knew the check would be small since my sales aren't at blockbuster levels. Things seemed to be picking up at the end of last month and I have already sold a book in August, so I'm hopeful. But I've been paid for sales from a book I've written. Using the strictest terms, I'm a professional author.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! Now go write more. Your fans are waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on it. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Jarrett! I hope the next pay-cheque from Amazon is a bit bigger, but congratulations on reaching this milestone!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete