Sunday, January 26, 2014

How do you make a living as a freelancer?

I'm looking for work again. Details of why aren't important necessarily. I don't really have a lot of them other than that my previous employer felt like we were no longer a good fit. So, now I'm out looking for a new job. One of the things I'm considering after seeing what a good freelance writer can bring in is going that route. There are hassles that come along with it -- no insurance or other benefits, taxes are up to you, etc... . But if you're good at it and well-connected it can be pretty lucrative. And I know that those hassles I mentioned can be easily overcome with a little research and some help from the right professionals.

I thought for a brief moment about freelancing when I was looking for work a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the contacts I needed to do it right. I don't necessarily feel that way anymore. I feel like my two years in marketing have let me meet some great writers and some great people. That would make building a freelance career a little easier. Still it's a little scary when thinking that I wouldn't have a paycheck that's steady and regular. We like budgets in this house, call us crazy. Having months where you make $100 and other months where you bring in $10,000 make budgeting nearly impossible. I know that's something that can be overcome with a little planning and some steady, regular work.

I am taking on some freelance projects now while I continue to look for a new full-time gig. But I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help with tips or advice on how to make a freelance career work. So, if you've gone this route, how did you do it? How do you make it work?

2 comments:

  1. Definitely haven't figured this one out yet. I think it requires a lot of organization, and excellent time management skills (neither of which I have). Also, being able to spin the same story multiple ways for different audiences.

    It probably helps to have a side-job as a psychic stock broker. This part is not from personal experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our technical crew has deep expertise in UI Developer products and solutions and has the ability to implement complex solutions as well as provide UI Developer job support on projects across anywhere in the world. We can provide end to end complete UI Developer implementation support in your specified time duration. Hire UI Developer Freelancer

    ReplyDelete