Thursday, May 21, 2009

Missed deadlines

My wife had given me a goal of submitting a story for publication by March. I missed that and by a mile. She reminded me of that this morning. It was a reminder that I needed.

I haven't been good with the writing lately. I've been meaning too. I've been thinking about quite a bit about a couple of stories, but can't seem to find the time to put those ideas on paper. Or, honestly, I can't seem to make myself do it. I have the time. But like I mentioned in one of my first posts, sometimes after dealing with words all day at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and deal with more words. But I know if writing is something I want to do I have to make myself put those ideas on paper.

So, I am promising to myself -- again -- that I'll be better about writing. I'll make sure I finish something and get it prepped for submission. And this time I'll do it with my own deadline. I am giving myself until September. End of September, just to be safe.

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand what you're going through. The drudgery of working life makes it difficult to focus on our true passions because we are left so drained. And even when we do put pen to paper, it can feel like we're writing into a vacuum.

    If this is something that truly burns in your heart, then you will find a way to make it work with your current situation. It'll just take time, I know mine feels like its taking forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadlines have always helped me. Although my internal deadlines eternally get blown. For a couple of years I made my deadline to have something submitted to Writers of the Future at least three our of four quarters. That helped, although with the longer projects I've fallen away from that schedule. Now it's "Until I no longer qualify, I will submit at least one new, quality story to WotF every year."

    And I hear ya about the day thing interrupting. I intentionally took a new job (when I lost my old one) that was below my skill level so I'd have brain power when I came home. While on a daily basis that hasn't always worked, over all it has. Unfortunately the night jobs have swallowed must of that brain time I reserved for writing.

    I've resigned myself to not being prolific, but steady. And I still struggle with it. Keep up the good work, don't get discouraged if you miss a day or two as long as you get back to it while the story is fresh.

    ReplyDelete