Monday, May 10, 2010

A busy weekend

We spent the weekend working around the house so I didn't get much done on the writing front. I thought some about the Needle contest. I have an idea that hopefully can contain itself to the 1000 word limit. Not sure yet.

The WIP is just sitting there. I have been thinking about where it's at and I am afraid that I have written my characters into a situation that does nothing to advance the story. They are walking some place and will have to walk back to where they came from before anything happens that pushes the story forward. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't really know the story, but it doesn't matter really. All you have to know is that I realize I need to delete about 300 words that I've already written. Not a big deal, really. There is one little bit that I like that I'll keep and work in somewhere else. All I am losing, really, is a little world building and atmosphere. I am feeling pretty comfortable with the atmosphere of the piece. The reader gets a dystopian feel and that's what I want. So losing these few words isn't a killer. Just disappointing that I wrote myself into a hole. But better to realize it now, I guess, than 1,000 words from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment