Thursday, May 27, 2010

An update in two parts

Sorry I haven't checked in for a week. I suppose telling you all that the week has been busy would be a good excuse, but it's not entirely true. I have been busy, but not so busy that I couldn't post something. I just haven't had much to say. Been reading a lot of blogs and commenting there, but not had too much to say here. I do owe you an update, though, and more regular posts. So I'll try to do that.

Update Part One
A few weeks ago I submitted a query to the guys at Crime Factory. It's for their Kung Fu Factory special edition. I hadn't heard anything from them and figured they just weren't interested, but since the deadline for queries was August I thought I'd give them until then -- or at least closer to that date -- before I moved it elsewhere.


Yesterday I heard from them apologizing for the delay and asking me to send the story through. This is what I said in the query. They seemed to like it, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. Let me know if this would get you to read my story. It's the first time I've written a query and I'd love to get some feedback so I can work on that skill. And keep in mind that this was for an issue that focuses on fighting, so I tried to highlight that in the query.

[The story] takes place in a grimy future where data is a drug, and our protagonist, Solis, is an addict. He's willing to do whatever it takes to get his fix, even if that's knocking around a few heads of guys he considers friends.

I'll let you know if they liked it or if they pass.

Update Part Two
I know I haven't been posting as often as usual, but if you have the keen eye you may have noticed that I've been updating things here. My WIP bug has been updated twice in the last week. Not been as productive as I wanted but we are at 25 percent completed. I've been writing in the morning. I've only had about 20 minutes to write, but have been getting out about 350 words when I can get my fingers on the keys.

I said in a previous post, and as you can tell from the WIP bug, I am shooting for 20,000 words on the current piece, at least for now. Could grow, could shrink, but that's my goal. Using my 350 word pace I can write a little over 1,000 words in an hour. If I can write for one hour a day I could be done with this thing in about three weeks. I'd love to have it done sooner, but that gives me a time frame. And if I am really cranking I can write faster than 1,000 words/hour. So hopefully this will be done soon.

And, on an unrelated note, we are going out of town for the weekend so I may not be around much after Saturday. But when I come back I'll bring you pictures of us in San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment