Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I've dabbled

Leah Petersen hosts a 5 Minute Fiction writing contest on her blog each week. She posts a prompt at 12:30 and you get five minutes to write. I decided to try my hand at it this week. The prompt word was greed and after five minutes this is what I came up with. It's not great, but I like it.

UPDATE: I'm a finalist. You don't necessarily have to vote for me, but I'd sure appreciate it. Click here if you want to show some support.

“Want to know what’s good?” Jill asked, sliding closer to me.

I sat my drink on the bar, paused for a beat, and said, “What?”
“More.” She turned to face me.

I faked a laugh and looked her in the eye. “You’re never satisfied are you?”

“Why be satisfied?” She waved two fingers and called over the guy behind the bar. She needed a refill.

“Because this is stupid.” I was watching the door in the reflection from the mirror behind the bar. I was expecting muscled-up company. We were sloppy. Working too fast. Doing this too often. Leaving too much behind. Creating a trail. The bell above the door rang as a pair of college girls giggled their way through.

She took a sip of her new drink and started talking again. “It’s not stupid. It’s profitable.” She tapped the front of my jacket and I felt the jewels in the inside pocket shift.

“Careful,” I said.

“Awww, you and careful.” She dropped from her stool and turned to face the door. “You need to loosen up, Thomas. You’ll have much more fun.”

“I’m not in this for fun. This is a job.”

“Not a legitimate one,” she said.

“Not in traditional terms,” I said. “But it’s not a game either.”

I kept and eye on the mirror and the front. Waiting. She was having fun and we were getting sloppy. It wouldn’t be long before the bell rang for us.

The way this works now is someone picks five finalists then it's up for a vote by readers. I'll let you know how it goes. You don't win anything but bragging rights.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome, Jarrett. You really need to keep us in the know on how this turns out.

    BTW, I'm still waiting for a submission from you for Shotgun Honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on a submission still, Sabrina. It may be something off of this actually. I kind fo like where it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story for #5MinuteFiction and a wekk deserved win. Look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete