Thursday, July 21, 2011

The truth about beards

I still have my beard. It's neatened up from when I was on vacation, but it's still here. I've had it three weeks now and I've learned a couple of things while having it. Here they are.

1. Both men and women will notice you have a beard, but very few women will compliment it. They'll say, "You have a new look." Or they'll say, "You have a beard." They will rarely follow that initial statement with a compliment. Men, however, almost always start with "I like your beard," or something similar. I think it's more an appreciation for what it takes to grow a beard rather than actually liking your beard. And, yes, it does take some effort on the owners part to grow a beard. Pushing through the urge to shave it off early on when it's just a scraggly mess is a real challenge. And, no, I don't really care what others think. Gina likes it and that's the only opinion that matters.

2. Beards always itch. Always. It may not itch as much after it's been given a few weeks to grow, but it will always itch.

2 comments:

  1. To paraphrase 'Crocodile' Dundee, "That's no beard! THIS is a beard!"

    I confess I haven't seen it (and where's that picture?), but I haven't shaved since '97, so it's hard to see three weeks as a beard.

    PS: It will stop itching. It just takes time. More time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women don't compliment beards because we don't know what it's like to have one. We can't tell the difference between a good beard and a bad beard. We only know if you have one or not. And we'll notice them because we notice everything. Everything.

    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete