Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Let's talk point of view

We are dealing with a second bout of winter weather here in Dallas. Gina is missing her fifth day of school today. I'm sick of it. The ice, not Gina missing school. She kind of likes that, so I do too. Chances are the ice won't melt until late tomorrow since our forecasted temperatures aren't supposed to get above freezing until late Thursday or early Friday.

I keep saying ice and not snow because that's what we get here. We may get a little snow, but most often we'll get sleet and freezing rain, creating a layer of ice over everything. It makes driving almost impossible so you get socked in the house until things melt off.

I know that what we've had here this winter doesn't compare to what some in the northeast have had to deal with. Not looking to get into an argument about who's had it worse. Just saying that I'm sick of the winter we have had.

Anyway, that's not what I was going to talk about. Just needed to vent a bit.

What I did want to talk about was point of view. I've written Chasing Filthy Lucre in first person. It's told from the point of view of Weber Rexall and it works for that story. But now that I'm writing And the Signal Fell Silent I am really wanting to write in third person. I feel like that story would be better told if I could show what's happening with a couple of the minor characters without Rexall being with them. But the first person point of view that I'm writing in makes that impossible.

Now, could I do it? Write the second book in third person? Sure, it's my story. I can tell it how I want to. Write it the way I want to. But here's my question. Will it throw the reader off if the second story in a series is told in a different point of view than the first book? I read somewhere that Lee Child has written his Jack Reacher books in both first person and third person. The Reacher stories however aren't serial stories. What happens in one doesn't build off the others. Not like a soap opera or television drama. So does point of view make a difference if it's a truly serial series? And the Signal Fell Silent builds directly off of Chasing Filthy Lucre. The story in Signal picks up where the story in Lucre left off. Will it throw readers off if the second story is told from a different point of view. Please help me out here. Let me know what you think, either as a reader or a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment