Monday, June 13, 2011

Blog changes: Cracking open the door

I haven't talked much about my ebook sales here so far. There are a couple of reasons for that.

One is that I don't think it's really anyone's business but mine. There are plenty of writers out there who will do regular updates on sales. That's not me.

The second reason is that I don't think it's that interesting for people who aren't writers, and that's who I should be writing this blog for. Ive been reading a bit about platform and establishing my presence online. I love interacting with other writers here and on other social media sites, but the people I should really be trying to reach are readers.  And, yes, I know writers are readers. But the majority of the readers I want to reach aren't going to also be writers. One of the things I read repeatedly is that everything we do online should be about establishing your presence and letting people get to know you. Not just you as a writer, but you as a person. I mentioned on Friday that there would be some changes to the blog, and that's what's changing. Future posts won't be solely about writing and books. I am going to open the door a little bit on my personal life.

There will still be plenty of posts on writing and books and publishing, but there will also be more. Hope you like it.

4 comments:

  1. Well said, Jarrett - I like the mindset. Tough to reach the readers I suppose.

    -Steve
    www.SteveUmstead.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve. I know that post makes it sound like I don't want to reach the readers who are writers. That's not the case. But, as I've said before, I get worried that sometimes we can do a little too much talking to and about each other and not spend enough time trying to reach new readers. And it's new readers who we are going to count on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said that very well. But remember how you like to frequent small businesses to help keep them open? Well, that is the same as letting the reader know about your sales. No, you don't have tell exact numbers, but letting the reader know something could help too! Love you and your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being in the sales industry I do find sales results to be interesting and agree with Gina that it doesn't have to be exact numbers but it's nice to know the author we are supporting is growing and it's also a reminder for us to help you in your endeavor to reach new readers.

    I think the move to open up a little about your personal life is good as well.

    ReplyDelete