Friday, March 18, 2011

It's real now

Chasing Filthy Lucre should be available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble some time today. And if not today, then some time this weekend. It's been available at Smashwords for a week now.

That means that this dream I've had for a long time, this dream of becoming an author, isn't a dream anymore. It's real now. I have a book for sale. It's weird to me to say that. Weird, but exciting. I like my story. I think it's good. I'm hoping readers agree with me.

I've sold four copies at Smashwords. From everything I've heard from other writers, any sale through Smashwords itself is great. Most use the site as a way to get into other online retailers. (If you want to buy it click here.)

As much work as it was to write and edit the book, the real work starts now. I have to market this thing. I have to let people know it's available. I have to try and get it reviewed. I need to find where my potential readers are hanging out and talk to them there. I need to see if there are any bloggers who might let me hijack their blogs for a day.

And speaking of blogs, this place is going to have to change too. What I write here can do as much to sell me to potential readers as anything else. No more rambling on about book progress all the time. Now I need to offer real content on a regular basis. It's something I've been trying to do lately, although I haven't been so successful.

It'll all be hard work, but I knew that going in. And it would be tough work if I were traditionally published instead of trying to do this myself. I'm ready, though. Ready to make this work. I have some sales goals that I'm aiming for. I'll keep those to myself. I don't know whether or not I'll share sales numbers specifically. We'll see what I do when the time comes. For right now, though, I'm just waiting on Amazon and Barnes and Noble to finish processing the book so it can be made available to the general public. Because now, this dream is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment