Friday, September 25, 2009

My first edit

I am starting the process of editing a story I finished a little over a month ago. This is something that I've never done before and kind of figuring out the way I want to do it.

The editing isn't the issue, I do that every day at the job that pays the bills. What I am not sure about is whether or not to save a new draft each time I edit, or just edit the one file. I am going with the new file method for now. Seems best to keep older versions around in case I just royally screw things up in the editing process.

If anyone else has a better idea on how to approach this I'd like to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. I keep different version files (1.0, 2.0, etc) just in case a tidbit from an earlier draft can be brought back or perhaps used somewhere else. You never know when the "cool" thing you just couldn't fit into this story might work somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think t he multi-version approach is going to work best for me. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing another obvious way to do this thing.

    ReplyDelete