Thursday, January 14, 2010

Two edits started

I did a quick read on a piece that I wrote over the summer and made some preliminary edits. Found a couple of places where the story can tighten a bit, and a couple of places where I can make a few tweaks. Overall, I was happy with the story after being away from it since August. My biggest concern after I moved it to the "Ready for revisions" file was the ending. Even had someone else from my writers' group ready it and he said the ending left him a bit unsatisfied. Now, I am not so sure. I kind of like where it ended up. It feels a bit like we are walking away mid-conversation, but not in a bad way. I know that makes almost no sense, but I know what I mean.

So, after I make a few tweaks I think it could be ready to send out. I have been researching markets and I think I have found one I'd like to submit to. I'd like to find more than one, but I ma having a tough time finding p;laces that want this kind of story. So, if anyone knows of a market looking for a short story in the 1,500 word range that involves heavy chains, brass knuckles and an exhibit hall let me know.

And in keeping with my inability to focus on just one project at a time, I have started editing another piece. It's the first monster story I finished this summer. I am only a couple of pages in on the initial read, but it's pretty obvious where I can trim and tighten. There is a section right at the beginning where I introduce the main character that really needs some help. And I still struggle with a few of the "Why" questions I had earlier. I don't know that they need to be answered in the text of the story, but I'd like to know them for me. I think that would help in the future when I play in this world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment