Monday, January 11, 2010

Writing goals for 2010

I have resisted doing this, but I can resist no longer. I need the list of things to shoot for in 2010, at least writing-related things to shoot for. Or for which to shoot if you are particular about that sort of grammar thing.

Here is what I have come up with for now. This list isn't exhaustive and can be, and probably will be, updated. I am going to give myself a timetable so I don't just sit around until Dec. 15 then try to cram this all in.

GOAL: Edit the three stories I completed in 2009 and submit them for publication. I've already started on this but don't like the way I am doing it. I am still trying to feel out my editing process. I don't think I like doing it on the screen. I may work better from the printed page. I'll have to figure this out as I go.
DATE TO BE COMPLETED: April 1

GOAL: Finish the three works in progress that I have half-finished on my hard drive. They are three projects that I am excited about and think have potential.
DATE TO BE COMPLETED: July 1

GOAL: Write another story in my monster-cops series. These center around a main character who still intrigues me and I think the idea is one that has some potential for several stories. I just need to figure out what those stories are.
DATE TO BE COMPLETED: October 1

GOAL: Make progress on the novel. This is a vague goal, the kind you aren't supposed to make. They are supposed to be measurable, but completing the novel isn't as important to me as completing, editing and submitting the other things I have going. Still, I do want to complete it, more for me than anything else. I have a feeling that this is going to be one that just collects dust in a drawer, but that's OK. I am learning things when I work on it and I know my writing is improving because of it.
DATE TO BE COMPLETED: Dec. 31

GOAL: Dress up this blog. It needs to be more attractive. I know I shouldn't, but I judge blogs by their covers. If it looks good I'll spend more time there. I know, I'm shallow. But, if everything goes really well with my first goal I could have more readers stopping by. It's a bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I gotta stay positive. If they do come, then I want them to be impressed.
DATE TO BE COMPLETED: March 1

So there you go. Those are my goals for 2010. These are very modest compared to other writers, I understand that. But, for me, I think these are appropriate and goals I can meet. I'll try and update these throughout the year, both for you and for me. I could probably use the accountability.

No comments:

Post a Comment