Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Writers' group: Travel guides and inspiration

A few years ago, actually more than a few, I bought some travel guides for foreign cities I'd never been to. I figured that they would come in handy if I were to want to set something overseas. They were on a clearance table and I don't think I paid more than $2 for each of them.

I have guides to Sydney, Great Britain, Seville/Andalusia, and Madrid. That's an uninteded concentration on Spain.

Anyway, I am finally using them. I pulled the Seville/Andalusia guide out last night and think I have found a good place to set my writers' group story. There is a district in Seville that has bars and nightlife that's right by the river. It should work great.

I spent a little time at The Sartorialist web site looking for inspiration for my characters. I had a very specific look in mind for these two characters and knew I'd need help describing them. This site helped me find two folks I can use as inspiration. They have a very fashionable/trendy look. My story is a crime story/spy story and these two characters in my head need to have a very classy/trendy/hip look to their clothes. James Bondish but a little more modern. The Sartorialist seems to have folks that look like that. I can't remember where I saw the link to that site first, but someone suggested it as a great place to find faces. I can't disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment