Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A sample book cover


The compressor on our air conditioner broke some time between the last person moving out and us moving in. We had no idea until we tried to run the A/C last week. Gina knew it was broken a few days before I did. I took a little more convincing. But I came around and we had someone come out last week to check it out. That's when we get the news about the compressor. The guys were out today to fix it. I took the morning off work so I could be there when they got there. Instead of writing or taking care of some things around the house, I decided to play with Photoshop and some free stock photography I found online.

I see writers all the time on message boards and other places get worried about things that they shouldn't worry about until much farther into the publishing process. They worry about what their pen name should be. They worry about how they are going to get someone to publish all three of the books in their series when they haven't finished the first chapter of the first book yet. I am by no means an expert, but I always tell them to just write. Don't worry about all that other stuff until it's time to worry about. Just write. Today I didn't listen to my own advice. I goofed around and made a book cover. Let me know what you think. Would you buy this book? Is it professional looking? At least a little bit?

6 comments:

  1. Yes I would buy it and seriously not just because we're related. It's an intriguing cover and makes me interested in reading what it's about. Looks professional to me. And if I did buy it would you autograph it? I promise not to sell it on ebay....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice by the way on the "just write" thoughts. I get caught up in the other stuff a lot too instead of just focusing on the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would buy it! It is the kind of cover that I would go for and you know I am a big judge the book by the cover kind of person. Unless, I like the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pic, Jarrett - I want to go looking behind all those doors......

    Now then, young man, stop playing about and get writing again! (just joshin' !)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jarrett - you're a young whipper-snapper compared to me! ;-p

    ReplyDelete