Friday, March 6, 2009

The first post, an introduction

In my head, I was just going to start posting. Dive in without saying who I am or what my plans for this blog were. That's mainly because I don't think I had actual plans for it. Then I thought about it and decided that this would be motivation -- a reason to write everyday.

I find that it's hard for me to find the motivation to sit behind a keyboard at night after I've just spent my entire day dealing with words. I work here. I help do this. So when I get home after reading A LOT from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. I don't have the motivation to pull out the laptop and deal with words some more. And lots of nights I go to bed regretting my laziness when it comes to writing. There are two things that I have wanted to do ever since I was a little kid, elementary school age. I wanted to write stories and I wanted to work at a newspaper. I have done the latter and I think it may getting in the way of the former. No, I know it is. It's a poor excuse, but my days at work are long, and, despite what some think of what I do, at the end of them I am mentally tired. My head stops thinking and all I want to do is sit in front of a TV with my wife and let my brain relax. But I can't, or better yet, know I shouldn't. If I want to ever publish any of these stories I've half written I can't let myself watch another night slip away.

This is my goal. One hundred words a day. I read something a couple of years ago that said if you have writer's block you should try to write at least 100 words a day. It seems like a small amount, but at the end of a year if you are faithful you will have 36,500 words. That's nothing to sneeze at. And besides, once the words start flowing you aren't going to stop at 100 words.

Two other topics you will probably see a lot of here. Food/weight loss and baseball. I am a newlywed and my wife and I are both trying to lose a little weight. We got a little comfortable the first few months of our marriage and got a little lazy with our eating. We are getting it back under control and it's a big topic of conversation at our house, so it's bound to leak onto the blog. It's already leaked onto hers and it's just a week old.

And when I said earlier that there were two things I wanted to be when I grew up, that wasn't exactly honest. I also wanted to be the third baseman for the Kansas City Royals. I have been a baseball fan since I was a kid and with the season starting in mere weeks there will be some baseball talk here as well. That's on top of the pieces I contribute here.

That's it, my overly long introduction. Hopefully if you read this you'll come back and read some more. I promise they will be more interesting in the future now that the introductions are out of the way. Until then.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you started a blog. I don't want you to beat yourself up about not writing at night. It is perfectly fine to want to relax. This will help you get started and feel relaxed and comfortable. : )

    ReplyDelete