Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Home again

We are back from a weekend trip to Kansas City. I needed to visit my grandmother who is 92 and in a nursing home now. And Gina has told me repeatedly that she didn't want the first time she went to Kansas City to be for a funeral. I was able to get Monday and Tuesday off from work so we took advantage of Gina's summer and headed north.

It was great seeing family and wonderful to see my grandmother again. I got to show Gina all of the places I remember as kid. We ate burgers at my family's favorite burger place and went for barbecue. We had intended to hit the two big KC barbecue spots, Gates and Arthur Bryant's, but were only able to make it to Gates. That's OK though. At Gates I ate what could possibly be the best thing I have ever put in my mouth -- a burnt ends on bun sandwich. My goodness. Gina and I were both swooning over how good this was. Yes, swooning.

Tried to catch a Royals game. Went to the ballpark, paid for parking, entry, souvenirs, and food. Just never saw a game because a constant drizzle canceled the game.

It was a great time. We ate too much but enjoyed ourselves but it's good to be back home

I have a bit of writing to catch up on and am going to the first meeting of a writers group Thursday night. Excited but nervous. It's a group that came together through Craigslist so not sure what to expect. I'll report back how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! Keep writing Jarrett and tell your wife to start back writing as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new group. Craigslist can be sketchy at times so I have my fingers crossed for you. If that doesn't work, you might want to try out Meetup.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gabriel. I am hopeful, but aware that this could all be a waste of time. I will look into meetup.com if this one fails. I know I am in need of some feedback. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete