Sunday, July 5, 2009

Yes, I am crazy

So after thinking about what I'd mentioned in the previous post, I have decided that I am crazy. Instead of trying a triathlon, I think I'll go small goal first and just give a 5K a shot.

I know that it's quite the step down, going triathlon to 5K, but it's a more sensible move for multiple reasons.

First, going with a triathlon would be like deciding to eat a two-pound steak as the way to break a hunger strike. I should start with a nice sandwich first. That's what the 5k is. It's a ham and cheese on rye. It's something that's much more manageable and doable since I have never tried any endurance kind of activity before.

Second, triathlons are expensive. I'd have to buy a bike. Those ain't cheap. I'd have to pay entry fees. Thanks to my shoddy research I have no idea how much that would be, but it's an expense. I've also read something about needing special clothes, some sort of unitard that can be worn while you tackle all three disciplines.

With a 5K, the only expense I'd have is the entry fee. I can do the training either at the gym, which I already pay for, or just on the street outside my apartment.

Plus, there are training programs you can follow online that will get from the couch to the race in a matter of months. And, for me, that's something that I think is important. If I were to train for a triathlon it would probably be a year or more before I was ready to compete. That's too long for me. I don't do well with distant goals. I need something that is closer and can be accomplished. The 5K will give me that.

So, that's my fitness goal for now. I want to run a 5K by year's end.

1 comment:

  1. Okay - a couple of things came to my mind as I read your post. Why is it that when people reference a sandwhich it typically is ham & cheese on rye? does anyone really eat that?

    2nd - don't you think unitards are hot?

    The 5k training done indoors (in my vast 5k experience) is different from the actual outside conditions. The changes in the incline as well as the elements add to the training but certainly any training would be a great thing. And was it correct for me to say "...done indoors?" or shoudl I have said "completed" or something like that?

    And I really think you can do it! Just put your back in to it! Haha!

    ReplyDelete