Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Progress

Between a few minutes last night and a few more minutes this morning I banged out another 400 words on the monster story. Got a nice bit of back story written and moved the plot along some. Again, it's mostly dialogue.

My concern at this point is that the story is getting long. We are at 3,700-plus words right now. It's becoming a hefty short story and we are at the middle according to the outline in my head.

I wasn't expecting this to get that long, but I figure it's OK. I can't worry about that now and have to just keep writing. I have no doubt that I'll be able to tighten things up in the editing. And, yes, I remember saying I was a lean writer. I just know there are whole sections here that could come out. I'll just save them for something later. I m enjoying this character and this story. It's fun to write and I may just write something else with the same guy at the center. I can use those things that don't make it in this story in one of those in the future.

2 comments:

  1. why does it have to stay a short story? maybe the short story idea was just really a baby book that is now starting to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't have to be a short story. I am just going with it. However long it ends up being is fine with me. But I know it's not a book length idea. I know how this is supposed to end and we are getting close to that point.

    ReplyDelete